Since we are experiencing a heat wave here in Southern California… I’ve been trying to find every way possible to keep cool. AND its my Dad’s birthday tomorrow! September is full over birthdays in my family! So I will be doing lots of postings of birthday cakes.
Anyway… For my Dad’s birthday, he requested chocolate. That was the only guideline he gave me. So I decided to make a Double Chocolate Brownie Layered Cake, with strawberry accents.
And with my leftover strawberries I made a delicious and refreshing “Very Berry Smoothie”.
Print This Post
Materials You’ll Need:
- Mason Jars/ Any kind of glass jars
- Paraffin Wax
- Lemon Juice
- A hungry stomach
1. Cut the stems off of a 1/2 flat of strawberries (6 baskets) and put them into a blender and blend to liquify. If you like “chunky” jam then you may mash them with a fork instead.
2. Combine 5 3/4 cups of pureed fruit , 1 package of pectin, and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a large pot over HIGH. Whisk until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
3. Next, take the fruit mixture off of the stove. Stir in 8 cups of sugar until it is well combined into the fruit. Return it to a rolling boil and whisk rapidly for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, take the jam off of the stove and let it sit for a couple minutes. Skim off the excess foam on the top of the jam with metal spoon.
4. Fill a small pot about 1/2 way full of water. Put a stick of parafin wax in a tin can and submerge the can in the pot of water. Turn stove onto a low heat and allow the wax to melt slowly.
5. Next ladel the jam into your mason jars. Fill the jars to a 1/4 inch from the top, leaving room for the wax).
Very Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 container of Yoplait Light Strawberry Yogurt
- 1 tsp. liquid Stevia (no-sugar, all natural sweetener)
Blend, pour into a pretty glass, garnish with a strawberry and DRINK UP!
180… that’s only 90 for you and 90 calories for whoever you decide to share this delicious beverage with!