One of the latest fads in the health food world is quinoa. And rightfully so!
Although I LOVE white rice, I always feel so guilty after eating it. Quinoa gives me that same starchy rice fix without all the guilt!
Many people think quinoa is a grain, but its actually a seed that’s grown in the Andes Mountains of South America.
It’s a great source of protein, fiber, folate and magnesium (great for people with headaches!).
Having this knowledge about this “seed” makes me enjoy it even that much more!
Quinoa by itself can be relatively plain tasting, so the key is to add veggies, chicken and lots of spices to it, like I did in this Quinoa with Chicken and Mushrooms recipe.
Your entire family will love this… even my extra picky hubby did. 🙂
Print This Post
Quinoa with Chicken and Mushrooms
(Makes 4 servings)
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3/4 cup chopped white onion
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms and set aside.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with paprika, cumin, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken mixture to pan; saute for 5 minutes or until chicken is evenly browed, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan.
- 3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and cremini mushrooms; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; saute 5 minutes of until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Stir in reserved porcini liquid, chopped porcini and quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 12 minutes or until the quinoa has soaked up all the water.
- 6. Stir in reserved chicken and peas. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until the quinoa is tender and chicken is cooked.