Presenting Mini Baker "Sweet Story" Series
Black Forest Gateau – Mini Baker from Mini Baker on Vimeo.
That’s right folks! After receiving a package from Jessie Steele (full of adorable aprons!) my fiance and I were inspired to create a series of old-fashioned baking videos. Our goal is to bring back some of the charm, fashion and baking of the roaring twenties through the 1950’s. Our first video features the “Black Forest Gateau“. Don’t know what it is? Check out the video!
Print This Post
Black Forest Gateau:
Dark Chocolate Cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup oil (I use canola)
2 cups hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray and line three 6″ round pans with wax or parchment paper.
3. Mix everything in a bowl until you get a thin batter. Divide the batter evenly into the three pans.
4. Bake them at 350 degrees for 25-29 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cakes completely before cutting, layering and frosting.
Cherry Buttercream Filling:
1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add the salt, confectioners’ sugar, salt, coffee, cream and cherry pie filling. If needed, add extra cream.
3. Set the mixture aside until you’re ready to layer your cake.
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
1. Beat the heavy whipping cream on HIGH for 5-7 minutes until it holds soft peaks. Add the vanilla and kirschwasser to the whipping cream. Set aside.
2. Wash and strain your cherry pie filling so you are left with just the cherries (no juice). Set these aside.
3. After leveling off your cooled cakes, use a squirt bottle to squirt some Kirsch on top of all three cakes. (I used about a 1/2 cup total. You can also use a pastry brush if you don’t have a squirt bottle).
4. Spread 1/2 of the butter cream mixture on top of the first layer of cake. Top that with 1/2 of your cherries. Repeat with the other two layers.
5. Top the entire cake with your whipped topping.
6. If you’d like, add some chocolate shavings, whipped cream rosettes and maraschino cherries like I did!