My husband and I love our carbs. However, we rarely eat pasta. Its one of those things when I think about having a bowl of spaghetti or a big fat piece of cake, I will always choose the cake.
Well, this time we made an exception and I’m glad we did because this Pesto Pasta was so fresh & flavorful. I prefer my vegetarian pasta dishes, so this is perfect for all you meat-less eaters, and could even be a vegan meal with a couple tweaks to the recipe.
The goat cheese is such a great complement to the mushrooms and eggplant and the pesto gives any pasta such a vibrant flavor. Hope you all enjoy this delicious Pesto Pasta!!
Pesto Pasta with Mushrooms, Eggplant & Goat Cheese
(Makes 4 servings)
8 oz. whole wheat (or regular) angel hair pasta
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 small eggplant, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ red onion, finely diced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 6 oz. jar pesto (I like Trader Joe’s Pesto alla Genovese)
2-4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Prepare pasta according to directions on package. Once al-dente, keep in water & set aside. It will cook slightly while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil, add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- Next add eggplant to skillet, season with salt and pepper and brown for 3 minutes on medium heat. Add eggplant to the bowl of mushrooms and set aside.
- Sauté garlic, onions and 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat until onions are translucent in color, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and eggplant back into the pan and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Next, drain pasta. Transfer to a serving bowl. Toss pasta with as much or as little pesto as you’d like.
- Pour eggplant and mushroom mixture over the pasta and top with crumbled goat cheese. Garnish with a piece of cilantro or basil.