When I think of the perfect refreshing dessert for summer, I instantly think of MINT ICE CREAM. My dad’s favorite ice cream has always been “Mint-N-Chip” from Rite Aid (aka Thrifty’s). Those of you have never experienced Thrifty’s ice cream, I’m sorry… you are truly missing out! Its so delicious and so inexpensive.
I recently found 5 gallon buckets of Thrifty’s ice cream at my local Restaurant Depot. Um, HEAVEN! Because of this find my fiance and I are seriously looking into an extra large ice-cream/meat cooler.
Needless to say, we LOVE ice cream.
Because of this fascination with mint, and my fiancé’s fascination with Cookies & Cream ice cream, I decided to combine the two and make: Oreo Mint Ice Cream. It turned out AMAZING!
Oreo Mint Ice Cream:
(makes 1 quart)
2/3 cup coarsely chopped Oreo cookies
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place the cookies in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
2. Using your stand up mixer, with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar and continue to whisk for 1 more minute. Pour the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peppermint and vanilla extracts and blend them into the cream mixture.
3. Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions. (If you have a Cuisinart ice-cream maker, I freeze in the mixture for 23 minutes).
4. After the ice cream stiffens, add the chopped cookies, then continue freezing for 3 more minutes.
5. Remove the ice cream from your mixer and freeze in your freezer for an additional 2 hours to harden the ice cream completely.