Yesterday was St. Patty’s Day at the Borden household.
Being married to a food blogger means you will reap the benefits of every holiday two weeks before the day arrives. My husband had no complaints :)… especially since we usually have holiday food twice- two weeks before so I can get the recipe out to all you lovely bloggers & again on the actual day.
These Oreo Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache will please all of the Irish ladies & gents in your life. The are rich, moist, beautiful!, and the mint will actually leave your mouth feeling refreshed! PLUS there’s a crunchy Oreo cookie crust! Does it get any better than that?!
Oreo Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup veggie oil
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients (except the Oreos) in a large bowl on medium-high speed until you get a thin batter.
2. Line cupcake tin with 24 paper liners.
3. Twist the Oreos in half. Place half an Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
4. Pour the batter into each liner, filling it 3/4 full. These cupcakes don’t rise much, so its better to put more batter in, rather than less.
5. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
6. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack before frosting.
Mint Butter Cream Frosting
INGREDIENTS:1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream
green food coloring
1. Cream softened butter for 2 minutes.
2. Add vanilla, peppermint, powdered sugar and heavy cream into the butter mixture. Beat on high until the frosting is creamy and all the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
3. Add green food coloring until you get the desired green color.
4. Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round decorating tip. Pipe frosting evenly on the tops of the cupcakes.
5. Transfer cupcakes to the refrigerator to cool and harden the frosting slightly, for 20 minutes. While they are cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache.
1 cup chopped chocolate (I used semi-sweet, but dark would be awesome too!)
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Melt together chocolate, corn syrup and whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Use a large metal spoon to drizzle the warm chocolate over the tops of the Oreo Mint Cupcakes. Top with an Oreo if desired!