To-go dessert. There’s something about a dessert that can be eaten on the go, at the beach or at a picnic that is just SO appealing! I love my mini mason jars. They are a little smaller than the average Kerr mason jar, and are the perfect size for a rich dessert like these Mini Candy Bar Trifles.
These trifles are frosting/whipped cream free because they are meant to hold up well while traveling… but if you can’t go without the whipped cream, go ahead and add it. These are great because you can customize the trifle according to what kind of candy bar each person likes. I couldn’t decide on just one, so I decided to do my three favorites: TWIX, SNICKERS and MILKY WAY!
Also in this post… super simple decorations for your mason jar desserts- simply use a cupcake wrapper under the lid and vwalaa! you’ve got a simple, cheap and cute decoration!
Mini Candy Bar Trifles In-A-Jar
(makes 5 mini trifles)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instant chocolate pudding, 3.9 oz (plus ingredients to make pudding)
CANDY BAR LAYER:
10 Mini candy bars- 2 mini candy bars per trifle
1. Freeze candy bars for at least 30 minutes and then chop into small bite size pieces. Use 2 mini candy bars per mini trifle.
2. Prepare the pudding: Prepare chocolate pudding according to directions on the back of the package. Refrigerate for an hour to set.
3. Prepare the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9″x13″ cake pan with olive oil spray. Place all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl or in a bowl attached to a stand mixer. Blend until all ingredients are well combined, 2-3 minutes.
4. Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely for an hour. Once completely cool, cut circle from the cake using a biscuit cutter or circle cookie cutter. Circles should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the mason jars.
5. Layer the cake circles, candy bars and chocolate pudding how ever you’d like. And share!! Enjoy!