Bananas are one of the most amazing fruits when it comes to baking. They make baked goods so moist and keeps them moist for days. There’s nothing worse than a dried out cake. And rest assured, these Mini Banana Cakes are anything but dry.
The caramel sauce balances out the sweetness of the cake and is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. These are perfect for the cake lover who hates frosting. (That definitely isn’t me, but I still really appreciated these little cakes!)
Print This Post
Mini Banana Cakes with Caramel Sauce
(Makes 12 mini cakes)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bananas, sliced into ½” slices
1 (14 oz.) package caramels
1/3 cup evaporated milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with 18 liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla, bananas and buttermilk.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture. Fill liners 2/3 way full with batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Make caramel sauce while the cupcakes are cooling.
6. In a medium sauce pan, melt the caramels, evaporated milk, and vanilla together over medium-low heat. Continue stirring until the caramels have completely melted. Remove from heat and let the caramel sauce cool slightly for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the liners from the banana cupcakes and slice each cupcake in half. Each mini cake with have 3 halves of cake (1 ½ cupcakes).
8. Layer 3-4 pieces of sliced banana on the top of each layer of banana cake. Repeat so you have two layers of bananas and 3 slices of banana cake.
9. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the cakes and serve immediately.