- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, half-and-half, butter, lemon juice and zest, and egg yolks.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool at room temperature until set
Mini Baker Flakey Pie Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
12 tablespoons butter, (1 1/2 sticks) cold and cubed
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup ice water
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the shortening and break it up with your hands as you start to coat it all up with the flour. Add the cold butter cubes and work it into the flour with your hands or a pastry cutter. Work it quickly, so the butter doesn’t get too soft, until the mixture is crumbly, like very coarse cornmeal.
- Add the ice water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together forming a dough. Bring the dough together into a ball. When it comes together stop working it otherwise the dough will get over-worked and tough.
- Divide the dough in half and flatten it slightly to form a disk shape. Wrap each disk in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- On a floured surface roll each disk out into a 10 to 11-inch circle to make a 9-inch pie.
- Bake pie crust for 12-15 minutes (of until lightly browned) 350 degree oven.