Are you ready for the world’s lightest, fluffiest cupcake? Well here it is folks- Lemon Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Meringue Frosting.
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 large egg whites
yellow food coloring (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.
2. Mix butter and sugar together with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light. Beat in the extracts.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
4. In another separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and egg whites. Alternately add the milk mixture and the flour mixture, mixing thoroughly after each addition, and ending with the flour. Gently fold in the shredded coconut and desired amount of food coloring.
5. Fill the cupcake liners ½ – ¾ way full.
6. Bake for 15-19 minutes, or until the cupcakes are well risen and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting.
7. Meringue Frosting: Bring a few inches of water to boil in a saucepan that can hold a mixer’s bowl above the water.
8. Whisk the egg whites, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cream of tartar and salt in the bowl by hand.
9. Set bowl above the boiling water and continue whisking until the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar dissolves, about 1-2 minutes.
10. Transfer mixture to the standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat at medium-high speed for 5 minutes. Meringue should be cool and hold a soft peak. Add a few drops of desired food coloring (I chose yellow) and continue beating until it holds stiff peaks. Frost cupcakes with as much as as little as you’d like.
11. Cupcakes are best eaten the same day. Will hold for up to 3 days in an airtight container.