Lemon and Raspberry are two flavors that go together so well. The Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes have butter, oil and buttermilk which makes for the moistest, fluffiest cupcake you will ever have- hence the chiffon part of the name!
And the Raspberry Butter Cream is rich, smooth and packs a large bunch, but doesn’t mask the lemon flavor in the cupcakes.
You’ll just die for these! Every time I make them they’re a huge hit!
Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes with Raspberry Butter Cream
(Makes 22-24 cupcakes)
Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large egg whites
yellow food coloring (if desired)
Raspberry Butter Cream:
2 sticks butter, 1 cup, room temperature
½ cup shortening
½ cup raspberry preserves
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of raspberry extract (optional)
6 cups powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons heavy cream
couple drops of red food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake trays with 24 cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. For Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes: Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in lemon extract and vanilla extract, beat for one more minute until thoroughly combined.
3. In a separate medium size bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In another small bowl, use a hand whisk to whisk together the egg whites, oil and buttermilk.
5. Slowly add a little of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and next add a little of the buttermilk mixture. Trade off between adding the flour and buttermilk mixture, ending with the buttermilk mixture. Be sure to scrape the sides down. Beat for 2 minutes to combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 way full and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
7. For Raspberry Butter Cream: Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer. Add extracts and raspberry preserves, mix well.
8. Add in all 6 cups of sugar, mixing thoroughly. Add 2-4 Tablespoons of heavy cream to soften the frosting. Put frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, and pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.