This cake is for all of the Gluten-Free lovers out there. I’ve found it hard to find a good, moist and rich chocolate cake recipe – until now! And another great part is- you can make this cake in ONE BOWL! Less clean up = a happy baker.
Gluten-Free *Moist* Chocolate Strawberry Cake
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup warm water
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter; softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup seedless strawberry preserves
1 teaspoon strawberry extract
2-3 Tablespoons half and half cream
3 ounces baking chocolate; coarsely chopped (I used semi-sweet chocolate)
1/4 cup half and half cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 6″ round cake pans and line with wax paper or parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms. Make sure the batter is thoroughly mixed. The batter will have a slightly thick, pancake batter consistency.
4. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Then remove from pan and cool for another hour or two.
6. While cake is cooling, prepare Strawberry Buttercream. Cream butter in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, strawberry extract, half and half and strawberry jam. Mix until thoroughly combined.
7. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. While the ganache is cooling, dip strawberries into chocolate and chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to put them on the cake.
8. Once cake is cool, begin assembling with the Strawberry Buttercream frosting. Layer desired amount of frosting in between each layer of cake, ending with frosting. Top the frosting with a thick layer of chocolate ganache and garnish with chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Recipe Adapted from: Serious Eats