Ghirardelli makes the BEST brownie mix ever. Any one who disagrees I dare you to find me a recipe that compares to the ooey-gooey, fudgy Ghirardelli brownies. However, using a box mix does leave me feeling pretty guilty, so I always try to jazz up my Ghirardelli Brownies so I can consider them “from scratch”.
These Ghirardelli Smores Brownies have a layer of buttery graham cracker crust followed by fudgey brownies topped with a layer of Hershey’s chocolate bars and finally, broiled marshmallows.
Honestly, it doesn’t get much better than THAT!
Ghirardelli Smores Brownies
(Makes 16 brownies)
Graham Cracker Crust:
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 6 whole graham crackers)
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 Ghirardelli Brownie Mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
8 mini Hershey’s Milk or Dark Chocolate Bars
2 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on opposing sides so you can lift the brownies out afterward.
2. To make the crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl – stir with a fork to combine. Drizzle the melted butter over the top, then mix until all of the crumbs are evenly moistened. Transfer to the prepared pan and use your fingertips to press the crumbs into an even layer over the bottom of the pan (it will be a fairly thin layer).
3. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until firm and golden brown. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let the crust cool as you prepare the brownie batter.
4. Drop oven down to 325 F. In a large bowl blend water, oil and egg. Add brownie mix and stir until moistened (about 40 strokes). Pour batter over graham cracker crust.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife interested into the middle of the brownies comes out clean. Remove from oven.
6. Set oven broiler on LOW.
7. Break apart all of the Hershey’s candy bars into individual pieces and evenly distribute over the top of the brownies. Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the candy bars.
8. Broil on LOW for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully as it can burn if you leave it in there for even a few seconds too long!
9. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.