I literally made these for breakfast 30 minutes ago. I was SO impressed and excited by the results that I had to share the recipe with you all as soon as possible!
My fiance described these as “bundles of pure lust”. I think that’s all that needs to be said.
…But for all of you who want more of a description before devoting the next hour to these little babies, they are mini buttermilk muffins with a touch of nutmeg that are dipped in butter and then rolled in LOTS of cinnamon-sugar.
I changed up the original recipe by using cake flour instead of AP flour and buttermilk instead of whole milk. These changes made the muffins so light and fluffy.
French Breakfast Puffs
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsps. cinnamon
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin (this recipe will make 18-20 mini muffins).
2. In a large bowl stir together the cake flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a different bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar and shortening. Add the egg and mix well. Add the flour mixture and milk alternately. Make sure not to over-beat the mixture.
4. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.
5. Baker in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
6. In a bowl, melt the stick of butter. In a separate bowl combine the 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Dip the baked warm muffins in butter, coating thoroughly on each side, then coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
7. These are melt-in-your mouth delicious, especially when warm, so gobble them up once your done coating in the cinnamon-sugar!
(recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman)