It’s been FREEZING here on the West Coast. And by freezing, I mean in the 50s. Yes, I realize that isn’t very cold at all, but for South California it sure is!
This Double Tomato Soup is so full of flavor and yet is only 75 calories per serving! Yep, that’s right! So that means you can load in as many Garlic-Basil Croutons as you’d like without feeling guilty.
Enjoy, and stay warm!
Print This Post
Double Tomato Soup with Garlic-Basil Croutons
(makes 4-6 servings)
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
2 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced shallots
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 large basil leaves, divided
3 drained sun-dried tomato halves, packed in oil with herbs (such as California Sun Dry brand)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, garlic an shallots to pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
2. Add sugar, pepper, salt and 4 basil leaves, and cook 5 more minutes.
3. Add sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Remove from heat. Place the soup in a blender (1/3 at a time). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and divide soup evenly among 6 bowls. Garnish each with 1 basil leaf and a handful of garlic-basil croutons.
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cup bread cubes (1/2-inch diced), made from good quality French baguette or country bread
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the oil and butter until hot. Stir in garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with dried basil leaves and spread bread cubes on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and dry. Check frequently to prevent burning.
Recipe Adapted from: My Recipe & AllRecipes