You can eat 10 and not feel guilty.
Well, maybe you’ll feel a little guilty… but mainly because of my addition of the chocolate ganache.
These Cream Puffs with Chocolate Ganache are not only pretty to look at, they are impressive to everyone to serve them to because they look like you just snatched them out of LaDuree (post about LaDuree to come next week).
Cream Puffs with Chocolate Ganache
(makes 20 cream puffs)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup pre-sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 unbeaten eggs
1. Preheat over to 375.
2. Combine butter and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Add flour and salt and beat vigorously (I mean that!) until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. At that point, remove the pan from heat and cool slightly.
3. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth after adding each egg. Beat mixture until glossy.
4. Drop batter (or pipe) from a spoon onto a greased baking sheet, each one spaced at least 2″ apart. (I like to use parchment paper instead).
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and dry on the inside. Allow to cool completely.
Whipped Cream Filling
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat all three ingredients together with a wire whisk or the whisk attachment on your stand mixer. Beat for 3-5 minutes or until soft peaks form that can hold their shape.
2. Use a pastry tip & piping bag to pipe about 2 Tablespoons (or more if your cream puffs are large) of whipping topping into each hollowed out pastry.
1 cup chopped chocolate (I used semi-sweet, but dark would be awesome too!)
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Melt together chocolate, corn syrup and whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Use a large spoon to drizzle the warm chocolate over the tops of the cooled, stuffed Cream Puffs.
3. Serve with a cup of coffee or tea & eat up!