Coconut Cream Mini Cupcakes
COCONUT mmmmm its such a sweet taste of summer! I must say though, its VERY hard to find a fluffy, moist & flavorful Coconut Cake recipe.
This is the recipe I use for my coconut cake, but it converts well into cupcakes.
Print This Post
Coconut Cream Cupcakes!
(makes 24+ cupcakes, or 48+ minis)
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (or cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcakes pan with cupcake liners.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. The mixture might look curdled; don’t be concerned.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut & walnuts with a rubber spatula.
4. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes.
5. For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract on low speed. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until just smooth (don’t whip!). Top with toasted shredded coconut!