My mother taught me at a very young age that “less is always more” and that seemed to stick with me. That may be the reason why I’m so obsessed with naked cakes. They are simple, rustic, beautiful and best of all EASY!
The chocolate cake is not overly sweet, so it pairs perfectly with the nutella buttercream and powdered sugar dusted strawberries. I made this cake for my birthday (yes, I made my own birthday cake – everyone thought I was crazy, but hey, when you bake sometimes you volunteer to make your own cake).
Chocolate Strawberry Cake with Nutella Buttercream
(Makes 1 mini three tier 6″ cake)
Moist Chocolate Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Nutella Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Nutella
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream (half & half, or whole milk)
1. Prepare the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. First spray then line three 6″ round baking pans with wax paper or parchment paper. Place all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl or in a bowl attached to a stand mixer. Blend until all ingredients are well combined, 2-3 minutes. Divide evenly between the three baking pans.
2. Bake the cakes for 18 to 25 minutes (careful not to overcook- that’s what dries out the cake and won’t make them moist!), or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes, comes out clean. Cool the cakes for at least two hours before frosting.
3. For Nutella Butter Cream: Using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl once or twice. Add Nutella and whip for one more minute.
4. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Once all of the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase the speed to medium-high and add the vanilla, and add one Tablespoon at a time of the heavy cream until the frosting is creamy and smooth- no lumps!
5. Layer Nutella Butter Cream between each cake layer and finish by topping with more frosting. Place strawberries on top of cake right before serving and dust with powdered sugar.