MMMM… Chocolate & Cherries… it’s been a while since I had indulged in this amazing combination. So I decided to invent a VERY simple and delicious recipe. It literally takes 45 minutes, start to finish. Alas:
Chocolate Cherry Cake Bars with Dark Chocolate Ganache
1 box of your favorite Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
1 15 oz. can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour 13×9-inch pan.
2. In large bowl, gently mix dry cake mix, pie filling, eggs and chocolate chips with rubber scraper; break up any undissolved cake mix by pressing with scraper. Carefully spread in pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Prepare the ganache while the cake is cooling
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chips
1. Melt butter in a medium-sized pot over low heat.
2. Stir in cream and vanilla into the butter and bring to a boil.
3. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted.
5. Pour the warm ganache over the top of the slightly-cooled bars. Let the bars set for 1 1/2 hours until the ganache is firm. Use a non-serrated knife to cut the bars and EAT UP!