Pudding… its one of those things you either love or hate. Not because of the flavor, but the texture. I, myself, love pudding. This pudding is creamy, decadent, caramel-y, rich and salty all at the same time. I love the added crunchy texture the flakes of sea salt give this pudding.
And surprisingly- its made with FAT FREE milk! So it’ll make the decision to get a second serving that much easier 🙂
Butterscotch Pudding with Salted Chocolate Ganache
(makes 4 servings)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 cups fat-free milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
Maldon sea salt (or any other kind of coarse sea salt)
1. For pudding: In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and egg yolks; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
2. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into four individual dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until chilled.
3. For Chocolate Ganache: While pudding is cooling, prepare chocolate ganache. Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy.
4. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cakes as a glaze. The longer you allow the ganache to cool, the thicker it will set. Typically I stick mine in the refrigerator so it is slightly cold before whipping. For piping or frosting, allow the ganache to completely cool and set up. When you are able to spoon the ganache and it can hold its texture, it is ready for piping.
5. Pipe onto the cooled pudding and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Enjoy!