I’m a Costco addict. And I don’t use the word addict lightly. I insist that my husband comes with me to Costco because I’ll leave there with way more food than the two of us can eat.
One of the BEST deals at Costco is their bananas- 9 for $1.14- yes sir! We can never eat them fast enough, so I usually end up making some kind of bananas bread, cake or muffins by the end of the week. (Fine by me!)
These banana muffins are that moist, tender bread that we all admire, with the addition of a soft cream cheese chocolate chip swirl. A match made in heaven!
Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Swirls
(Makes 12 muffins)
Cream Cheese Filling:
4 ounces (114g) of cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
2 1/4 teaspoons all purpose flour
¼ cup mini chocolate chips
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
¾ cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
2. For Cream Cheese Swirl: In a small bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, egg, and flour with a wooden spoon. Mix until smooth. Place bowl in refrigerator while preparing the banana bread muffins.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cuts.
4. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 Tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Set aside.
5. Drop a heaping spoonful of cream cheese mixture onto the top of each muffin cup. Using a knife, blend the cream cheese swirl into each muffin cup.
6. In a bowl, toss blueberries with remaining teaspoon flour; gently fold into batter. Coat a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
7. Sprinkle crumb topping over each muffin.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.