Here’s my version, which I think is 10X better because it has twice the bacon that the original recipe calls for.
Baked Spinach & Bacon Dip
8 slices bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
coarse sea salt and ground pepper
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed dry, & finely chopped**
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Crostini or pita chips, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over medium, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp for 10 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan.
2. Add onion to pan, season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat (stirring occasionally) until onions are tender, 8 minutes. Add flour and cook for 30 more seconds. Add spinach, milk, sour cream and cheese. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes, until cream cheese melts.
3. Stir in bacon and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
4. Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and top with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until bubbling, about 14 minutes. Heat broiler and broil until top browns, 3 minutes.
5. Remove the dish from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving. Serve the warm dip with crostini or pita chips.
**if you like your spinach dip NOT chunky, put it in a blender or food processor for a minute before you transfer to a baking dish and bake in the oven.