My Mom and her friends had their annual “get-together” aka drink wine and be WAY too merry weekend. 🙂 Anyway, I was asked to provide some desserts and breakfast foods. One of the items on the list was : BLUEBERRY MUFFINS! I happen to be a huge fan of blueberries… raw, in cereal, in smoothies, and especially in baked goods.I took my favorite Blueberry Muffin recipe and added a special twist! That special twist is a cinnamon/butter crumble top (like the stuff you’d find on the top of coffee cake).
They were a hit!
BLUEBERRY MUFFINS w/ COFFEE CAKE TOPPING!
(Yields about 12 small muffins, or 8 large)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cupcake/muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder.
3. Mix egg, vegetable oil and milk together. Mix this with flour mixture.
4. Fold in blueberries. (I always add 1/2 cup extra)
Fill muffin cups right to the top.
…Now for the REALLY good part!
To make the Coffee Cake crumb topping you’ll need:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter,
and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
2. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Bake muffins for about 18 minutes, or until golden brown on the top.