My family and I are lucky enough to have 3 peach trees, which supply us with TONS of peaches every summer. In fact, so many, we usually can’t use/eat all of them! Everyone has been asking me for some more home-made Peach Jam, so I decided to whip some up.
Peach Jam is the best jam because its not too sweet, not too tart, and not too chunky, no seeds … its absolutely PERFECT!
(Below are step-by-step directions on how to make the perfect peach jam!)
1. Pick about 4 dozen ripe peaches. Make sure they are ripe, if they are too firm your jam will not be sweet enough!
2. Clean out 10 small mason jars/ lids.
3. Combine 3 cups of pureed fruit (I blend it in a blender, but if you like chunky jam, you can mash the fruit with a fork), 1 package of pectin, and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a large pot over HIGH. Whisk until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
4. Next, take the fruit mixture off of the stove. Stir in 6 cups of sugar until it is well combined into the fruit. Return it to a rolling boil and whisk rapidly for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, take the jam off of the stove and let it sit for a couple minutes. Skim off the excess foam on the top of the jam with metal spoon.
5. Next ladel the mixture into your mason jars. Fill the jars to a 1/4 inch from the top, leaving room for the wax).
6. Pour a few cups of water into a large pot. Put 2 sticks of paraffin wax in a tin can, and place the can in the hot water until the wax has melted completely. Next pour the wax into your jars, making it so the wax is about a 1/4 inch thick.
7. Next, decorate your jars how every you would like!
8. Hand out your fresh jars of jam to friends, neighbors, family members… or just keep them for YOURSELF!
(Thanks to the wax, the jam will keep for up to 2 years!)